Monday, May 20, 2013

Book review- Too Hurt to Stay

I was invited to review the book Too Hurt to Stay by Casey Watson. Casey and her husband are an English couple who have been doing therapeutic foster care with emotionally disturbed children for many years. Casey has written several nonfiction books about her experiences with the children she has fostered.  I had never read any of her books before Too Hurt to Stay, but let me tell you, after reading this one, I  immediately devoured the other four that were available on Kindle.
Too Hurt to Stay is the story of Spencer, a troubled 8 year old boy who comes to live with the Watsons after being removed from his home by Child Protective Services. Casey writes with compassion, humor, and genuineness. I also love the way she brings her family, including her own two grown children, and grandchildren into the story. She is also great at keeping the reader engaged and not wanting to put the book down! The way she writes, I really felt like I got to know Casey and her family, and Spencer, all so well. Casey's love and caring for this little boy shows through in her writing. And she keeps it real by also detailing the frustrations and real stressors that came with bringing such a challenging child as Spencer into her household. Casey and her husband are truly invested in Spencer, and work hard to give him the love and security that can help him heal.
I loved this book, and the other books by Casey.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I'm impressed that you read her other books that quickly - this must have been a powerful read!

Thanks for being on the tour.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...